The Ford Expedition has soldiered on without many updates for well over a decade. For 2018, things are different. Ford finally decided to give the Expedition a much-needed redesign. The 2018 Ford Expedition is bigger and better, and Ford used a lot of aluminum to make it happen.
The Expedition needed this attention. It wasn’t that the model that had been plodding along for year after year was really a bad vehicle. It was just outdated. The 2018 redesign brings Ford’s biggest SUV into the modern age. It's 300 lbs lighter thanks to aluminum body panels, the standard wheelbase model is longer by four inches than the outgoing model and the long wheelbase model is an inch longer than its predecessor.
Basically, everything on this SUV is different. Ford used the momentum from the F-150 and Super Duty redesigns and continued on with the Expedition. The results are favorable.
Here’s what you need to know.
- The new Expedition comes with all sorts of modern technology on the inside, including wireless charging, Wi-Fi hotspot, SYNC 3 with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, SYNC Connect and B&O Play with a 12-speaker audio system.
- Powering the Expedition is Ford’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine with auto start-stop technology standard and Ford’s new 10-speed automatic transmission. The SUV comes with intelligent 4WD and an available electronic limited-slip differential.
- Towing is an important priority for many big SUV shoppers and the Expedition offers trailer backup assist systems and is expected to deliver the best towing capacity of any full-size SUV.
- For Cargo hauling folks, the seats fold at the touch of a button, allowing the Expedition to swallow 4x8-foot sheets of plywood in the rear of the SUV and still be able to close the tailgate.
- The second and third-row seats are created in a way that makes carrying the kiddos and other passengers around easy. The second-row has the ability to tip and slide for easy access to the third-row. You can do this without needing to remove child seats.
Overall, just about everything on the Expedition is bigger and better. There doesn’t seem to be a word on price yet, but we’re expecting it will get a lot bigger as well. You should start seeing these new rides at dealers near you in the fall of 2017.