The Acura MDX Sport Hybrid will be the best version of the model yet. It gets better gas mileage and has more power than other versions of the vehicle. The attractive luxury three-row SUV utilizes a very similar hybrid powertrain system to the Acura NSX. However, it’s a heck of a lot more useful to the everyday driver than the NSX supercar is, although not nearly as fun.
Including the hybrid powertrain in the MDX package means you pay a considerable amount more, but if you like efficient and powerful vehicles, the MDX Sport Hybrid is probably worth the extra dough. Of course, it also comes well-equipped with wood interior accents, leather seats, a robust infotainment system and a suite of driver assistance technology and features.
Here are the notable details for the model:
- A naturally aspirated 3.0-liter V6 is paired with three electric motors and mated to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission that routes power to all four wheels.
- Together, the electric motors and V6 engine produce 321 hp and 289 lb-ft of torque, making the MDX Sport Hybrid the most powerful MDX in the lineup. The model has 31 hp more than other MDX models.
- The model’s price starts at $52,935, which is $7,910 higher than the base model front-wheel drive MDX.
- The EPA rated the MDX Sport Hybrid at 26 mpg city and 27 mpg highway. The combined mileage rating was also 27. That’s significantly better than the 18 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 21 mpg combined of the regular AWD MDX.
- Drive modes for the vehicle include Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ in an attempt to make the MDX Sport Hybrid a little more appealing to the folks who like to be able to adjust how their car drives.
The vehicle will begin arriving in dealerships across the U.S. in April of this year. If you’ve had your eye on an MDX in the past but haven’t pulled the trigger, you may want to wait until then so you can get the more efficient and powerful hybrid model.