Dodge finally unveiled its Challenger SRT Demon after multiple weeks of hype and tons of teaser videos and photos, and it has lived up to the promotional material. The Demon will blast out 840 horsepower and 770 lb-ft of torque from its supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI V8.
In stock form, the Demon will go from 0-60 in just 2.3 seconds and run a world’s fastest (for a production car) quarter mile with a time of 9.65 seconds and reach 140 mph while doing it. The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) has banned the Demon from competing, which is both a blessing and a curse for this car. Tim Kuniskis, head of FCA brands in North America, reportedly hugged the person who brought him the letter from the NHRA banning the car from competition because he was so happy.
The Demon features tons of notable equipment and stats. Here are some of the most interesting things about the car:
- The highest g-force acceleration of any production car at 1.8 g.
- A 2.7-liter per rev supercharger that increases boost pressure to 14.5 psi.
- First factory-production car with a liquid-to-air intercooler chiller system that continues working after the engine shuts off to cool down the car.
- First factory-production drag car with a Torque Reserve system that can increase power and torque after the car launches.
- The huge Air-Grabber air induction system is the largest functional hood scoop of any production car out there.
FCA seems to love going over the top with its vehicles, and this one outdoes anything the company has ever put out. You can get the Demon with nothing but the driver’s seat, for God’s sake. Smartly, FCA is including a full-day session at the Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving with each Demon sale. We just hope folks buying these cars take full advantage of it. They’re going to need all the instruction and help they can get to manage that much power.
Check out the video below to watch FCA’s Kuniskis talk passionately about the Demon and everything it does on the drag strip.