The newest S-Class gets even better than it already is with internal and external tweaks worthy of the German flagship sedan. Changes are noticeable, but they're more than just skin deep. The newest big Mercedes showed up this past week at the Shanghai Motor Show for all to see and envy.
Here are the details of the new S-Class:
- The entry-level model will be the S450, powered by a 3.0-liter twin turbo V6 with 362 horses and 369 lb-ft of torque with all-wheel drive optional and rear-wheel standard.
- The 2nd-tier car is the S560. The S560 houses a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 with 463 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque and can automatically switch the engine to four-cylinder mode under certain conditions. The S560 can also come in luxurious Maybach trim.
- Next is the hi-powered Mercedes-AMG S63 sedan with an amped up version of the 4.0-liter V8 that churns out 603 horsepower and 664 lb-ft of torque. It's mated to a nine-speed automatic and has the 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. The S63 can launch from 0-60 in a mere 3.4 seconds and hit an electronically limited top speed of 186 mph.
- The top-tier model is the Mercedes-AMG S65 with the raucous 6.0-liter twin turbo V12 with 621 horsepower and 738 lb-ft of torque. The S65 uses a seven-speed automatic and with rear-wheel drive.
- The exterior gets new bumpers in front and back, new headlights, a modified grille, and LED "crystal jewel" taillights.
- The interior of the S-Class gets the same twin 12.3-inch wide-screen cockpit display as the E-Class. Both screens share a single glass cover to make it look like one massive screen.
- There's a new steering wheel with smartphone-like Touch Control Buttons that use swipe functions for the multimedia system. The interior trim choices expand with two new natural grain ash wood trim options and three new color combinations: Silk Beige/Deep-Sea Blue, Magma Grey/Espresso Brown and Mahogany/Silk Beige.
- The new ENERGIZING Comfort package links technologies like climate control, seats, lighting, music, and fragrancing, to create a "specific wellness set-up tailored to the mood and need of the driver." Six ENERGIZING Comfort programs cater to the driver: Freshness, Warmth, Vitality, Joy, Comfort and Training.
- The S-Class now gets the next generation of Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive, including automatic speed adjustment for curves or intersections, improved Active Lane Change Assist, Traffic Sign Assist and a new Active Emergency Stop Assist that will automatically bring the car to a stop if it detects that the "driver is not intervening in the driving process on a sustained basis."
- There's also Active Body Control suspension that can automatically angle the car for better cornering, The S-Class also gets new Ultra Wide Beam LED headlights and wireless phone charging.
- Mercedes' new S-Class range is expected to arrive in a few months. Pricing will be announced at a later date.