Top Ten Most-Shoplifted Items
Some are obvious, some are surprising, and some are just sad.
Web2Carz Contributing Writer
Published: August 30th, 2012
he five-finger discount is the best sale you'll ever encounter—everything's 100 percent off! That said, there are some things that get stolen more often than others, and thanks to ABC News and the National Retail Federation, here's the top 10 most-stolen items.
1) Cigarettes. With the always-rising price putting a box of the ol' cancer sticks anywhere from $9 to $18 in some parts of the country, we can totally understand why people are pilfering these.
2) Energy drinks. This doesn't make much sense since these caffeine bombs are only a couple dollars each, but if you're having a rough morning , maybe this makes it better?
3) Top-shelf booze. Patron ain't cheap, guys.
Among the most-stolen items, sadly, are necessities like baby formula and medicine.
4) Baby formula. This is just kind of sad, if you ask us. But along with high-end liquor, this makes sense. Drinkin' isn't cheap, even if you're a baby.
5) Allergy medicine. Another sort-of sad one, because when you need your medicine, oh boy, do you need it. But allergy medicine is one of those weird things that's inexplicably expensive. $15 for a bottle of 15 pills? No fair.
6) Diabetic testing strips. There's not much sadder than having to pay for things that stab you, so it totally makes sense that people would grab and run with these.
7) Pain relievers. No explanation needed, amirite?
8) Weight loss pills. We're seeing a trend here. Pharmaceuticals abound, vices, and the things we want but don't want to pay for.
9) Electric toothbrushes. WHAT? Why???
10) Lotions and face creams. This makes sense especially if you're looking at high-end products, but we can't imagine that risking getting caught is worth it for a $40 jar of anti-wrinkle cream.