We laud Mercedes-Benz for their commitment to their venerable station wagon, the E-Class. It's been around since 1993 and soldiers on even today when wagons just don't sell very well anymore. And what better reason to go with a station wagon than the all-new 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class wagon that's just been unveiled by the German automaker.
Essentially, the shape is a larger version of the current C-Class wagon (that's only sold in Europe, sadly), more rounded than the previous generation with a roofline and greenhouse that slopes gently toward the rear, a more sophisticated fascia with bigger intakes and a body that sports a descending crease instead of a rising crease like before. It sports most of the details of the E-Class sedan
Here are the details on the tasty new station wagon:
- In the U.S., the wagon will be named the E400 4MATIC, and it will be powered by a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine with 329 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque.
- A nine-speed automatic transmission routes power to all four wheels in
Mercedes-speak's4MATIC all-wheel drive setup, which is standard in the E400.
- The E-Class wagon features a self-leveling rear air suspension for smooth driving, a 40/20/40-split second row, a rear-facing third row that folds into the floor, a nifty cargo cover that automatically retracts when the tailgate is opened, and a tailgate that can be operated via pushbutton control.
- Robust options are just like its sedan brother: Mercedes' semi-autonomous driving technology (Intelligent Drive) that includes Collision Prevention Assist Plus that brakes automatically to avoid a collision, Attention Assist that reduces drowsiness, as well as Pre-Safe Sound, a new Mercedes technology that emits a short signal through the speakers to protect the driver and passenger
earsin the event of a crash.
- The E400 4MATIC goes on sale in early 2017. EPA mileage figures and pricing has yet to be announced.
Find Local Discounts on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Interest in the E-Class Wagon? Check out these other great all-wheel drive vehicles we've recently driven.
Find Local Discounts on the Kia Sportage