Just when you thought the hot hatch wars had cooled down a little bit, Hyundai goes and redesigns their Veloster and makes an N performance version that's pretty freakin' exciting. It looks like Hyundai wanted to make their first spiced up vehicle one for enthusiasts, and the details back it up.
The power is significant, but it's still less potent than the Volkswagen Golf R (292 horsepower) and the monstrous Ford Focus RS (350). That being said, the 275 horses in the Veloster N should be plenty to deliver some serious fun. The Veloster N, however, does easily eclipse the output of the Golf GTI (220) and the Ford Focus ST (252).
Here are the vital details of the new hot hatch:
- Not only is it the first N model for the U.S. market, it houses a serious powertrain in the form of a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder churning out 275 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque.
- It's properly mated to a 6-speed manual transmission that with automatic rev-matching for downshifts, along with a limited-slip differential.
- The sports suspension is adjustable for damping based on the drive modes. In addition, you can also adjust throttle response, rev-matching, steering, differential, and even the sound of the exhaust.
- The Veloster N comes shod with 225-mm wide high-performance summer tires on 18-inch wheels or optional 19-inch wheels with 235-mm wide versions.
- There are two sets of brakes available: 13 inches in front and 11.8 inches in back, or 13.6 inches in the front and 12.4 inches in the rear.
- The N version gets an upgraded front fascia with red accents around the grille. There are also vents behind the grille that cool the brakes. There are also more aggressive side skirts and a faux rear diffuser with split dual-exhaust tips. To top things off, there's even a big carbon fiber wing on the back for downforce and a bit of showing off.
- The interior gets grippy cloth sports seats, an N steering wheel, and nifty shift indicator lights on the instrument panel.
- Production of the Veloster N begins in the fall of 2018, and they will be available at dealers in the fourth quarter.