Just when you thought Mercedes couldn't make the classic Gelandewagen (G-Class to us) better, they redid it for the 2019 model year to make it much more modern without losing its essential rugged but seriously upscale ethos. Well, now they've pulled the covers off the more powerful, more luxurious G63 version from the AMG division. And if you thought the last one was fast, hold onto your pants.
Here are the details on the premium SUV:
- The new "non-AMG" G-Class boasts a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 good for 416 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque, but the upgraded 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63 boasts 577 horsepower a tectonic-plate shifting 626 lb-ft of torque. Wow.
- 0-62 mph arrives nearly a second faster in a scant 4.5 seconds. The top speed is limited to 137 mph or 149 mph with the optional driver’s package. The G63 uses the same 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 that's been massaged for greater output.
- The G63 also manages to drop a full 375 pounds over the regular G-Class, and it also gets an AMG Speedshift TCT nine-speed automatic with a full-manual mode for more aggressive shifting.
- There's also an AMG Performance 4MATIC all-wheel drive system with a rear-biased torque distribution and a front/rear split of 40:60 percent instead of the 50:50 distribution for better handling.
- It will still be seriously off-road ready with a new suspension that boasts a front axle independent, double wishbone suspension, along with a rigid axle with a five-link suspension in back.
- It gets an AMG-specific vertical bar grille, and there are also bigger intakes, larger fender wells for the massive 22-inch wheels, and unique badging, paint, and bold red brake calipers peeking through those 14-spoke wheels.
- The full reveal will take place at the Geneve Motor Show in March of this year with more details and pricing forthcoming.